Friday 22 June 2012

Chapter Three

Image 3.6 Variety of machine stitched bands showing animal patterns
The last task in this chapter was to think about creating machine bands showing animal patterns for use in future chapters.  It was not until I looked closely at my automatic patterns and played about with the width & length of stitches that I found some pleasing results.
From the top the pattern numbers are: 2:22, 3:24, 3:31, 2:12, 3:34 & 2:15

Image 3.5 - One whipped stitch sample and three cable
The last page of samples show one whipped stitch sample and three cable stitch samples.  In future I must take care to use a contrasting top thread to the background material as I used white on the calico/vilene and found it difficult seeing my work.  I have a separate "speciality" bobbin case which I bought for cable work and it worked well.

Image 3.4 - Whipped stitch samples
I was very interested with the results of these samples especially (l) using black thread in the bobbin and white in the top.  I do wonder if sample (m) is correct as I was anticipating the bottom thread to come up more, not just at the end of rows.  I tightened the top tension and bypassed the bobbin tension in this sample and tried a second one where I loosened the tension screw on the speciality bobbin case - the result was the same.

Image 3.3 - Various tonal samples using automatic patterns
In these samples I have played about with the width & length of the automatic patterns to show tonal value.
Image 3.2 - Various samples showing tonal value
These samples show automatic patterns which have been over stitched and used space to show tonal value.  The last one is just straight stitching but done in a way to show tonal value - heavy stitching to show dark area getting lighter towards the other extreme.

Image 3.1 - Samples changing the width & length of zigzag
In chapter three I have to produce a number of samples using automatic patterns and straight stitch.  Each sample must show tonal value - graduating from dark to light.  I used a thin vilene under each sample and a mixture of black & white thread and perlé for the cable.   When creating the patterned strips in Image 3.6 I used a nappy liner under black felt and calico which I can cut back if necessary. 

My machine has a flat bobbin case into which you rest the plastic bobbins and I have now bought a separate "speciality bobbin case" so I can change the tension screw and use thicker threads for cable stitch.   Before getting the speciality bobbin case, I just by-passed the bobbin tension for whip stitch which seemed to work but I do wonder if sample (Image 3.4 m) has come out correctly. 

I have a function button (+/-) on a touch pad rather than a control knob which is not so easy to alter but after some practice it did get easier however I found it important to complete the sequence of a pattern before changing length/width.

No comments:

Post a Comment