Saturday, 7 October 2017


Wall hanging - completion

When I posted my hanging a few weeks ago I was pleased with my work but there was something missing - I really did not like the white zigzags.  I read Sian's feedback and chatted to friends and family and then, after returning from holiday, I had a brilliant idea.  Back in March we had an indigo dyeing workshop at the Guild but the vat did not work and the tutor agreed to return at the end of September.  I took along my original resist samples and I decided to take the white zigzag pieces I had prepared for my hanging and put them in the vat too.  It worked a treat and was just what I wanted.

Completed hanging

Presentation of supporting work

Rather than display the samples on one sheet I decided to use four hinged A3 boards so the presentation could be folded up.

Indigo workshop

I have really enjoyed this project - the preparation, the design and the creation.  I am pleased with my choice of colours and my choice of techniques.  Yes, I have changed a few things along the way but most of my original ideas have stayed.  I decided not to create three cords for the hanging as one, well covered, was fine.  When using the coloured papers I was enthusiastic about the white zigzags and the green squares but when I got to the stage of adding them to the hanging they just did not work.  It was a stroke of luck to have the indigo workshop two weeks ago and I was so pleased I had the brain wave of taking the white zigzags along.  

Saturday, 2 September 2017


Making your wall hanging

Below is the paper image of my chosen design followed by a variety of photos of the different stages of the construction of my wall hanging.

 11.1 Background


11.6 water soluble work added to background

 11.8 cutback pieces added to background

11.9 white zigzags pinned.  I really do not like this so I am cutting back the white to make it narrower.
11.10 background folded forward to add an edging.  No additions

11.11 green focus squares added

11.12 all white zigzags cut back to show just the silk and dark green squares

11.13 current situation.  All the various sections have been stitched to the background including the white zigzag.  The paler green squares are to be stitched into position, edges to be stitched and backing with sleeve to be stitched into position.  I am leaving this until the last job in case I need to add or alter anything.

11.14  I am still concerned that the white zigzags are too dominant so I have experimented by weaving some interesting threads through the running stitches on my sample.  Quite like this as it tones the white down - could use the brown/green threads and possibly some blue against the rain section (water soluble)

I have spent a number of very enjoyable hours on this wall hanging and I am pleased with the result so far.  There is still some work to do but I feel it is coming together well.

Monday, 24 July 2017

Chapter Ten

Converting Hanging Design into Embroidery
Chosen design for hanging   Chosen design for hanging with feature
Chosen design and design with addition of feature squares – Siân suggested these squares and I think they bring the design together.  Lime green is a colour I have only discovered recently and one which I will certainly use in the future.
A1 design   A1 pattern before cutting
Design enlarged to A1 and design pattern ready for cutting
Images 10.1, 10.2 and 10.3 for area 1 the rain.
Images 10.4, 10.5 & 10.6 – fabric manipulation
Images 10.7, 10.8 & 10.9 – soil effect
Images 10.10, 10.11 and 10.12 – feature squares in silk
Images 10.13, 10.14, 10.15 & 10.16 – white zigzag in varying lengths and widths.

10 choice

My chosen samples for hanging.  After discussion this may well change!

Threads for hangingPossible wools for hanging
Threads and fancy wools
Machine threads for hangingBrowns for hanging
Machine threads and brown materials
Blues for hangingScrim for hanging
Blue materials and hand dyed scrim
Green silks for hanging
Silk for feature square
10 text 110 text 210 text 3
Text for Chapter Ten